Tuesday, July 5

The calm during the storm

Yesterday afternoon, a thunderstorm came rolling into town.  It wasn't severe and we weren't under any type of warning.  I had the Weather Channel on just to monitor the situation but it didn't seem worthy of any concern.  Then, I saw a flash of light, the power flickered, and I heard an eerie, cracky, popping sound.  Lightning had hit something and it was close! My heart started to race and a wave of panic hit me.  What do I do? What do I check?  Has the tree outside been hit, or the house?

I sat on the couch for a few seconds not sure what to do. I did the only thing that made sense- I called my husband.  He was still out of town but I needed him.  I called and explained about the sound and the flash of lightning. I didn't see any signs of a fire, but I knew SOMETHING had happened.  Hubby told me to check the attic.  Ummm, ok- how??  I have never been in the upper attic, and had never even opened that door.  I was rattled and not thinking clearly.  Hubby stayed on the phone with me while I checked our walk in attic/storage and then he explained how to pull down the top attic stairs.  Everything appeared to be fine and there was still no sign of fire.

I went back to the living room to begin the check of our electronics.  The TV would turn on but there was no picture.  I discovered that the cable box was not powering on.  Cable reception was fine in another room, but not working in the living room. Apparently, the cable box had been zapped. Even though it was no longer on, it was hot to the touch and smelled like metal burning. I disconnected the box and called the cable company.  By noon today, the box was replaced and cable TV was restored.  I was very lucky that the lightning had only zapped one replaceable device.

I am very thankful that my husband is not scared of storms.  He actually enjoys watching a storm brew and seeing the dancing light of lightning. While the unpredictability of weather worries me, hubby finds it exciting and amazing.  I wish he had been here with me, but at least I had his voice to calm me.

As an aside, make sure to unplug your devices during lightning storms.  This one cable box was plugged into a power strip along with a TV, DVD player and Wii.  The other items were fine, but the cable box was destroyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment