Monday, July 18

Snuggle buddy

Even though I've been married 14 years, I can still remember my single days.  I lived alone a few years before I got married, so I have some basis for comparison.  Being alone when you are sick is frightening and miserable.  One night, I started wheezing and couldn't breathe.  I had never had asthma, so I had no idea what was happening to me.  I was in a panic trying to figure out what to do.  Of course, it was a weekend night so I couldn't call the doctor.  This was before the convenience of phone-a-nurse.  I could either drive myself to the ER, scared of passing out being the wheel, or suffer through the night until I could call the doctor's office.  I opted for sitting up all  night trying to stay calm.  It turned out that I was having a major asthma attack that was easily treated.

Now when I get sick, I am so thankful to have another person to help me, to discuss it, and just to be there.  Hubby is very laid back and doesn't get too excited, even over medical emergencies.  A few years ago, I took a ride in the ambulance because my heart rate was erratic.  We decided that hubby should stay home with our baby daughter.  I was surprised a few hours later when I called to give a status update and hubby was asleep.  I had been taken in an ambulance with a possible heart attack and he was at home sleeping!  I was disappointed and irate.  Looking back, I realize that he did the only thing he could do- he waited and rested until he could do something. 

Yesterday, I felt horrible all day long, even after a long nap.  By last night, I just wanted to curl into bed and try to sleep the pain away.  Even though he wasn't sleepy, he still came to bed to snuggle.  He watched TV- quietly and in the dark- while I curled into him.  Comfortable with his heart beating in my ear, and his arm around my back, I drifted off to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment